The Coastal Barracks recently received a new cypress shingled roof. The funding for the project came from the Gene Oakes Grant Program of the Florida Lighthouse Association (FLA). The FLA is a non-profit organization that provides grants to support historic preservation, restoration and educational programs at Florida’s light stations.
The Coastal Lookout Building was built in 1941, following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The building served as the barracks for the United States Coast Guard stationed at the St. Augustine Light Station. During the war, the light stations across the country came under the control of the United States Coast Guard. The men stationed here reported any sightings of German U-boats in an effort to protect Allied shipping along the coast.
The current Barracks’ roof dates back to 2005 prior to the Museum taking ownership of the building. St. Johns County bid the project out to the lowest bidder. Unfortunately, the contractor did not use breathable underlayment and did not use stainless steel nails. The result is that the shingles began to come loose during inclement weather and increased the potential for damage to the substructure.
During the project, the roofers discovered both termite damage and wood rot. As a result, the project took a bit longer than expected to complete.
To help the Museum maintain our historic properties on site, make a gift towards historic preservation here.